Whether you would like to teach yoga or deepen your practice, our program will help you reach your goal. Students who successfully fulfill the requirements of the yoga teacher training program will receive a certificate of completion. IPY is a registered school with the Yoga Alliance at the 200 Hour level, and upon successful completion of our program, participants may contact the Yoga Alliance for registry.
Apply Now for Our 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training
Beginning September 2022!
Our next 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training is starting in Fall 2022! If you have any additional questions or need help applying, please email us us for more information about our yoga teacher training program.
|Program Overview||Dates and Times|
|Requirements for Participation||Required Reading|
|Program Cost||Suggested Reading|
|Application||Frequently Asked Questions|
Topics of Study
- History and Philosophy of yoga
- Physical, mental, and spiritual aspects of yoga
- Functional Anatomy of yoga poses and movements
- Proper alignment and modifications for different levels, injuries, and special populations
- Verbal cues and physical adjustments
- Fundamentals of sequencing a yoga class
- Pranayama, breathwork, meditation, and mindfulness
- Introduction to various styles of yoga including Vinyasa, Ashtanga, Yin, and Restorative
- Practicing teaching, feedback, observations, and mentorship
- Teaching and progression towards advanced postures including inversions, arm balances, and binds
- How to begin teaching, business of yoga, and practical guidance
- The ethics of practicing and teaching yoga
REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION
- Regular vinyasa or Ashtanga yoga practice
- A commitment to attend or make up all sessions
- Complete application with a non-refundable $500 deposit (Deposit will be returned if not accepted into the program)
- The cost of the TT Program is $3,250.
- Early registration price is $2,975, if paid in full by August 8th, 2022.
- 24 Class Pass to IPY
- Training Manual
- Monthly one-on-one mentorship
- David Keil Online Anatomy Course
DATES AND TIMES
We will meet on 12 weekends between September, 2022 and February, 2023. Saturdays and Sundays 8:00 am – 4:15 pm.
|8:00-9:15am||Breathwork + Meditation, Discussion|
|12:30-1:30pm||Practice Teach & Assist|
REQUIRED READING LIST
- Patanjali – Yoga Sutras
- Kino MacGregor – The Power of Ashtanga Yoga
- Deborah Adele – The Yamas and Niyamas
- David Keil – Functional Anatomy
SUGGESTED READING LIST
- Desikachar – The Heart of Yoga
- David Swenson – Ashtanga Yoga Practice Manual
- Eddie Stern – One Simple Thing
- Baron Baptiste – Journey Into Power
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I’m not “good” at yoga, can I still participate?
The depth of your poses is a side effect of regular practice and physical attributes you have no control over. The real practice of yoga worth dedicating yourself is applying your focus towards whatever posture or activity you choose to do. The deepest and most advanced practice would be one without an intrusive thought that leads the mind down a path of distraction. The physical poses are just a tool to create physical awareness to help temper that focus, and the depth of your poses is not as relevant as the focus applied to them. We will teach you alignment, practice tips, and cueing on all poses that we cover, which will help deepen your physical practice; but the knowledge that the physical practice is just a tool is more important and we will discuss that in depth as well.
I have an obligation for one of the sessions, can I still participate if I miss that?
While we ask that you make every effort to attend all sessions, we understand that life is not always within our control, and options to make up missed sessions will be available should the need arise.
Do you offer a payment plan?
Payment plans are available, contact us for more information about payment options.
I have an injury/special condition, can I still take this?
Yes! Sometimes injuries and special conditions can seem like limitations to your practice, but as a teacher, those experiences are a tool that can be invaluable to your students. How can someone who has never been injured guide a student who is? Who can relate to and inspire a student with a special condition more than someone who has one? This training will deepen your yoga practice and prepare you to teach if you would like to, neither of which has a physical ability requirement.
Is it ok if I don’t plan to teach?
Absolutely. For most trainees, deepening their own personal practice is the primary reason they take training. Teaching others is a useful skill for developing your own practice, and this training will prepare you to confidently teach a yoga class, but it’s ok if that’s not part of your plan.
Will there be a lot of work outside of the training weekends?
The vast majority of training hours will take place during the scheduled training weekends. In between, you can expect short reading assignments, watching online tutorials, and online discussions; nothing that would be overly time consuming.
I get nervous speaking in public, is practice teaching scary?
Public speaking is difficult for many people. Your first teaching experiences will not feel much like public speaking; they will be short, with a single student who is practicing, and about a subject you love. Starting small makes the experience easier, which will gradually grow to teaching full classes. Many teachers also find that the training experience helps their confidence and ability to speak in public, which is a useful side effect.
Will there be a requirement for how many times we practice in the studio?
While there will be no specific practice requirements, part of the training (and yoga) experience is developing a consistent practice and growing to be a part of a community. A dedicated in-studio practice will be necessary to get the most out of training and apply what you have learned to your own practice.
What if I sign up and change my mind?
Refunds requested greater than 30 days prior to the start of training will receive a refund of 50% of the refundable tuition (not including the non-refundable deposit of $500). No refunds will be provided if requested less than 30 days prior to the start of training.